Technology, Commercial & IP Law
Why instruct Travers Smith LLP on technology, commercial and IP law?
Travers Smith is an award-winning, full-service law firm headquartered in London. Our Commercial, IP & Technology team is consistently ranked as a top tier practice in the UK. We are unusual amongst City law firms in that we combine cutting-edge expertise on technology, intellectual property and data with exceptional breadth and depth of experience in advising on commercial contracts of all types.
This broad perspective enables us to deliver pragmatic, creative solutions in response to the most complex, novel and demanding of instructions. However challenging the matter, we focus on providing you with practical, succinct and “joined up” commercial advice. And we will always make sure that we fully understand the commercial and regulatory environment in which you operate.
Our track record
Clients regularly trust us to advise them on highly complex, business-critical issues, typically with substantial amounts of revenue at stake. Recent experience includes advising:
- Pay.UK., the UK’s leading retail payments authority, on critical IT arrangements relating to payment systems responsible for processing £19.2 billion per day
- Trainline, the UK’s leading online seller of train tickets, on a wide range of issues from compliance with online consumer protection rules through to branding, software licences and negotiations over its £2+ billion a year arrangements with train operating companies
- Shell EV Charging on its roll-out of thousands of electric vehicle charging points across the UK
- Xoserve, a key intermediary in the UK’s gas market, on a complex and long term technology outsourcing relating to operation of a central gas industry registry and the processing of £4 billion a year in gas transporter invoices
- Shazam, the music recognition app, on ad tracking and database ownership issues
- consumer electronics giant BOSE on key technology and brand licensing arrangements
- a leading fintech provider on groundbreaking software for handling trades in the $9 billion FX currency market
- a very high profile (non-UK) tech sector firm on regulation of artificial intelligence and use of personal data
- a major non-UK car manufacturer on a range of complex issues relating to its use of data science and telematics to provide mobility services to customers
- a broad range of software suppliers on cutting-edge technology, from 3D spatial mapping software through to virtual reality apps and use of drones
We often work closely with colleagues in our Competition, Financial Services and Operational Risk teams to ensure that any regulatory risks or requirements for prior authorisation have been addressed.
What others say:
“They are a highly skilled and efficient firm, they are responsive and customer-focused and they deliver high-quality service, often within very challenging timescales.” Chambers UK Guide
“Travers’ main strengths are the strong client relationship which it builds and invests in, the detailed knowledge of our business, technical excellence, a commercial approach and also continuity of personnel. In the commercial law space, the Travers team compares very favourably to other firms I have worked with. I would consider Travers’ commercial offering to be among the best in the London market” The Legal 500
For further advice and assistance please contact:
020 7993 4255