Financial Services & Fintech Law & Regulations for Inward Investors
Addleshaw Goddard LLP
Addleshaw Goddard are immersed in the financial services sector. Every year we help over 1000 global financial services businesses to deliver strategic transformation, develop and launch innovative products and services and manage risk and disputes.
We have been named City Firm of the year at The Lawyer awards 2022, an award which recognises the great work we do. Some quotes from our clients include:
- ‘First class service. Excellent knowledge base, commercial awareness, down to earth, easy to do business with.’ – Legal 500
- ‘Great level of responsiveness coupled with great industry and product knowledge.’ – Legal 500
- ‘They are very active in the sector meaning that their advice is insightful and well balanced. Able to quickly get into the heart of a matter and provide top-class service and expertise. The best there is.’ – Legal 500
We routinely support businesses investing in, acquiring or establishing financial services businesses. We also advise on commercial collaborations where services are provided either to, or by, a financial services business – for example a fintech providing a solution to a financial services business or a bank providing banking as a service through a non-financial services business.
In addition to ancillary structuring, due diligence and fund raising advice that may be required, experience tells us that these transactions can throw up a range of specialist legal challenges, such as:
- regulatory capital requirements
- the impact of sanctions on participants
- anti money-laundering and bribery regulations
- the impact, licensing and other compliance in this highly regulated sector, including interaction with regulatory bodies
- regulatory disclosure and reporting obligations
- consumer regulation
- data security including how data can be processed and used lawfully and reporting requirements for data security incidents
- questions around payments infrastructure including e-payments, use of blockchain and crypto currencies
- liability for directors and for individuals under the senior managers regime
- frameworks for good governance
Our multi-disciplinary team will draw on deep market experience to guide and support you on every aspect of your transaction.
Innovative products and services
Our familiarity with the broad spectrum of products and services made available by financial services business enables us to help those businesses to innovate and bring new products and services to market. When first mover advantage can be crucial, our ability to navigate existing regulation in new contexts and provide robust advice swiftly helps our clients to succeed.
In addition to advising on compliance and legal frameworks and infrastructure, we are adept at preparing template product documentation. In particular, we understand the specific lens that must be applied to product documentation to be used by consumers.
Managing risk, disputes and regulatory investigations
When things go wrong or disputes arise, you need holistic advice. Not only do we have an outstanding reputation for dispute resolution, but we also have the expertise to factor in the regulatory context and exposure. We also have specialists who routinely advise on managing reputational risk.
When you come under regulatory scrutiny, we have the experience to help you manage investigations and your relationship with regulators. Where appropriate, we can also support you with any requirement remediation schemes.
For further advice and assistance please contact:
020 7993 4255