Financial Services & Insurance Regulatory & Law for Inward Investors
Pinsent Masons LLP
At Pinsent Masons we are immersed in the financial and insurance services sectors. Every year we help many leading international financial services businesses to deliver strategic transformation, develop and launch innovative products and services and manage risk and disputes.
As a law firm we trace our roots back to 1769. From our humble beginnings we now have 28 offices across the globe with our headquarters in the City of London. We have over 1800 legal staff and have several times been named as “Law Firm of The Year” by a number of respected legal and financial industry publications. But, no matter how large we have become, we have never forgotten that people matter and meeting their objectives is personal as well as a matter of commerce.
We routinely support businesses from around the world investing in, acquiring or establishing financial services and insurance businesses. We also advise on commercial collaborations where services are provided either to, or by, a financial services or insurance business. In addition to structuring, due diligence and fundraising advice that may be required, these transactions and investments can throw up a range of specialist legal challenges, such as:
- regulatory capital requirements
- the impact of sanctions on participants
- anti money-laundering and bribery regulations
- the impact, licensing and other compliance in this highly regulated sector, including interaction with regulatory bodies
- regulatory disclosure and reporting obligations
- consumer regulation
- data security including how data can be processed and used lawfully and reporting requirements for data security incidents
- questions around payments infrastructure including e-payments, use of blockchain, insuretech, and crypto currencies
- liability for directors and for individuals under the senior managers regime
- frameworks for good governance
Our familiarity with the broad spectrum of products and services made available by financial services and insurance businesses enables us to help those businesses to innovate and bring new products and services to market. When first mover advantage can be crucial, our ability to navigate existing regulations in new contexts and provide robust advice swiftly helps our clients to succeed.
In addition to advising on compliance and legal frameworks and infrastructure, we are adept at preparing template product documentation. In particular, we understand the specific lens that must be applied to product documentation to be used by consumers.
When things go wrong or disputes arise, you need holistic advice. Not only do we have an outstanding reputation for dispute resolution, we also have the expertise to factor in the regulatory context and exposure. We also have specialists who routinely advise on managing reputational risk. When you come under regulatory scrutiny, we have the experience to help you manage investigations and your relationship with regulators.
Our financial and insurance services team is known as a ‘go to’ department for those facing regulatory and public scrutiny. It is recognised for and distinguished by its technical expertise, forensic approach, knowledge of the regulatory process (gained from work both inside and outside of the financial services regulators) and partner-led service.
The team is led by the preeminent financial law expert, Alexis Roberts. Oxford University educated and qualified as both a barrister and solicitor, Alexis has many years of financial services and insurance law experience and also specialises in insurance distribution, regulation and product development and works with almost all of the leading insurers and intermediaries in the London marketplace. Members of Alexis’ team are all experienced in working on cross-border matters. Where appropriate, they draw on the knowledge and experience of our non-UK offices.
For more information about Alexis and his team and the services they provide, go to our website here: https://www.pinsentmasons.com/sectors/financial-services#2
If you or the financiers and insurers from your country here in the UK would like to watch, listen to or read the insights of one of the leading law firms and practitioners in this field, click on any or all of the following links:
- Rewiring financial services: the digital future (pinsentmasons.com)
- Insurance Academy webinar series: Hosted by Pinsent Masons’ partners and senior lawyers, the Insurance Academy delivers training on a broad range of legal and regulatory issues to lawyers and others at our life and general (insurance and reinsurance) clients. The Academy provides both an introduction (or, for some, a refresher) into the legal framework in which insurance companies operate and a deeper dive into some topical issues. Recordings here:
- Session 1: Insurance Academy – Insurance and Reinsurance Fundamentals (pinsentmasons.com)
- Session 2: Insurance Academy – Introduction to Insurance M&A: share and business deals (pinsentmasons.com)
- Session 3: Insurance Academy: Life Insurance Distribution & Regulation (pinsentmasons.com)
- Session 4: Insurance Academy: GI Distribution & Conduct of Business (pinsentmasons.com)
- Session 5: The regulation of insurance business in the UK from the end of the Brexit transitional period (pinsentmasons.com)
- Session 6: Data is the new gold: The risks and rewards of data protection compliance in insurance (pinsentmasons.com)
- Session 7: The pensions risk transfer market: insurance and reinsurance solutions for the corporate pensions conundrum (pinsentmasons.com)
- Session 8: Insurance Academy: An Introduction to Climate & Sustainability Policy, Reporting and Emerging Litigation (pinsentmasons.com)
- Session 9: Insurance Academy: Insurance creditor Schemes of Arrangement: practical insights (pinsentmasons.com)
- Session 10: Insurance Academy: Ransomware – how do you respond? (pinsentmasons.com)
For further advice and assistance please contact:
Pinsent Masons LLP
30 Crown Place
Tel: + 44 (0)20 7418 7000
Contact: Alexis Roberts
020 7993 4255